RE: RE: [WriteLog] LPT antenna relay control

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: RE: [WriteLog] LPT antenna relay control
From: "Robert Carroll" <rlcarroll@patmedia.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 18:24:20 -0500
I happened to be working with the designer of a program used for general
logging about an issue I had been having in certain situations with an
Orion.  We had plenty of time to talk about various things as I downloaded
various changes he made as we tracked down the problem--so I asked him about
how his program handled LPT issues with XP.

Here is my interpretation of what he said.  The issue is not that Microsoft
has dropped support for either com ports or LPT ports in XP.  The issue with
LPT ports is that Microsoft no longer allows direct manipulation of the LPT
port in the way which was allowed in earlier versions of Windows.  This was
done on purpose by Microsoft because of stability problems which could be
caused by direct manipulation of the port.

In the case of my general logging program--to remain unnamed--the programmer
elected to buy an LPT plug in module for the compiler he is using and to pay
the developer of the module the $$$ which allows distribution of the
resulting code as part of the logging program product.  The logging program
designer said that writing a stable module for LPT use in XP is not a simple
task and not one he wanted to take on given his sales volume.  Perhaps such
a module is not available for the language in which Writelog is compiled, so
use of a standalone program such as UserPort is required to fill the gap,
but only the program designers could tell us the actual situation.

By the way, the logging program problem was fixed.

Bob W2WG