Re: [WriteLog] SO2R with 2 computers

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] SO2R with 2 computers
From: "Charles Morrison" <cfmorris@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:51:08 -0500
NA was setup for him originally with 2 computers linked via the serial
ports.  One computer per radio and the logs were shared. Therefore, the old
saying about old dogs and new tricks must be observed.  Seriously, I
understand the plight, but it isn't going to happen.  He's not going to
change to 1 computer and switch back and forth any time soon. Im just now
getting to the point where he understands that you have to "shutdown"
windows before turning it off.  NA was like this:  Pull out sheet of paper,
read paper, 1. turn on.  2. type cd na1059, press enter 3. type na press
enter. 4. name contest 5. select contest modules.  Repeat steps on 2nd
computer.

I have a 3 page document, handwritten on how to turn on the computer, double
click the icon, select the contest.   From there, it splits, is it CW or is
it SSB?  If its CW select the messages, check the messages, make changes.
If its SSB, re-record messages.  Etc etc.  It's a 45 minute process just to
set up 1!  Then of course, there's the explanation that NA has a built in
paddle keyer, Writelog doesn't, so he doesn't understand why he has to have
external keyers.  Get that explained.  Then you have to register network
connections, then you have to connect each computer.

Believe me when I say, I'd love it to be on one computer!  I just don't
think its going to happen.  There truly is, enough of a learning curve on
windows alone, much less Writelog, that if I switched to 1 computer, it
would be a total shock to the system.  Im absolutely ecstatic that I've got
him switched to Writelog.. However things like Folders and organizing
contests and such, that's out the window!  Doesn't understand that.  Look
back at the NA computer and there's like 50 contests all dumped into one
directory.  Windows offers so many more options, its like throwing him to
the wolves.

So for the time being, it just has to remain as 2 computers.

Charlie
KI5XP