Re: [WriteLog] SO2R with 2 computers

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] SO2R with 2 computers
From: David O Hachadorian <k6ll@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:56:35 +0000
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:24:58 -0500 "Charles Morrison"
<cfmorris@bellsouth.net> writes:
> Survey to the group.  What is the best way for SSB and CW contesting
> with
> Writelog using 2 computers.  That's the catch.  All of the devices
> are great
> if you're using 1 computer, it'll switch the focus of the audio,
> it'll
> switch the microphone input,

I use one computer myself, but I think the following would work.

I think you will need two footswitches (L and R) to activate PTT for the
mic audio and manually-sent CW.

You won't have to switch the prerecorded message audio. Hard-wire the
left sound card to the left radio and the right sound card to the right
radio's phone patch input. You will have to use PTT (LPT interface,
serial interface, or serial command), not vox.

Also, hard-wire the left cw interface to the left rig and the right cw
interface to the right rig. Connect these interfaces to the rigs'
straight-key inputs. Use the same ptt method as the prerecorded audio.

>  Can I use 1
> paddle, 1
> external keyer and a Y cable between the two rigs and just control
> the TX
> with the VOX?

I think you mean ptt, not vox? Yes, tee the keyer output and mic audio
(you may need isolation xfmrs on the mic audio to prevent hum). The
footswitches will activate the correct radio's ptt for manually sent cw
and spoken audio.

Hope I've got it straight. It's pretty strange.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA