Re: [WriteLog] Vista & Com Ports

To: "Writelog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>,<ricp@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Vista & Com Ports
From: "Gary Senesac AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:12:58 -0800
OK, I stand corrected!  A classic case of leaping before looking.  I'm using
a Compac laptop for my station PC.  It only has one native serial port,
Com1.  I added a dual serial PCMCIA slot card to add two more com ports.
For some reason these were configured as Com4 and Com5.  I "thought" I was
using Com5 for rig control, but upon further review it is in fact Com4.  A
quick check of my writelog.ini file showed that indeed I am not using the
CommSlotn=x command in the Ports section.  So, my curiosity aroused, I added
CommSlot3=5 command to the Ports section.  Viola!  Now in WL (V10.63H)
Setup/Ports I have listed Com1, Com2, Com5, Com4.  Sooo, WL does show the
reassigned Com port - my bad.  Thanks for the tip Ric!  Now to think about a
new rotor to use that unused port for something!

As to the original problem posed by Marshall AA0FO, wherein in his CommSlot
command wasn't being recognized by WL, I think one of the responses in the
thread may be his solution.  After more thought I was going to suggest he
search his computer for multiple instances of the writelog.ini file.  If the
CommSlot command was entered into the [Ports] section with the proper syntax
I wouldn't be surprised if he found more than one ini file on the machine
and the CommSlot command was entered into the wrong one.

OK, I'm done.

Gary AL9A