Re: [WriteLog] IARU Robot rejecting log.

To: Writelog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] IARU Robot rejecting log.
From: John Bastin <jbastin@sssnet.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 15:54:59 -0400
On Jul 12, 2009, at 13:49 , Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:

> You have to be careful with Writelog.
>
> When you are making a Cabrillo file, you must use the DROP-DOWN arrow
> in the Location box to select the correct location (alternatively,
> type a couple of letters, then use the DOWN-ARROW key on your
> keyboard).  Don't just start typing in there willy-nilly.  Otherwise,
> the log robot may reject your entry for an invalid location.

Yes, I went back to WriteLog and created another Cabrillo file to see
what happened and I now see the error. When I went to the Location
field in setup, I clicked on it and got the list. As I often do,
rather than dragging down through long lists, I typed the first letter
to get to Ohio. When I got "Ohio" in the list, I just went on typing
and finished the word myself. When I did this, there was no
"Location:" field in the Cabrillo file header.

I tried it again and this time I clicked on the list, typed "O" and
then used the mouse to select "Ohio" in the list that came up. When I
did it this way, I got "Location: OH" in the Cabrillo file.

It seems error-prone to me, I just typed in my callsign but instead of
staying on the keyboard I must jump to the mouse to select the entry
for the next field in the form. Perhaps a small note "Select from
list" should be added to the window under the word "Location."

73,

John K8AJS
jbastin@sssnet.com