Re: [WriteLog] Single Channel USB / Serial Converter for RTTY?

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Single Channel USB / Serial Converter for RTTY?
From: Aldewey@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 07:43:15 EDT

In a message dated 10/19/2009 3:36:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
jim@w8wts.com writes:

Hi Al,

My driver version and date are the same as yours, 3.7.0.2 on 9/20/07.

I'm set up for AFSK TX, so I don't usually use the TxD line to operate the
rig FSK.  However, I did a quick "crude" test by attaching a serial port LED
signal monitor to the Keyspan and configured MMTTY for FSK out on COM3 (the
com port number of the Keyspan).  The TxD signal LED matched the type of
diddle that I configured.  I could see differences in LED pattern when
typing into the tx buffer of MMTTY.  This test obviously doesn't prove that
it works, but it does tend to show that it's trying to do something in
response to commands from MMTTY.

I'll work on making a quick interface to actually drive the rig FSK input
from the Keyspan TxD signal.  Now I'm curious as to what it's actually
doing.

73,

Jim, W8WTS.

Jim;

Thanks.  I actually finally got this going last night.  The trick was to
use EXTFSK.  I probably should have known to try thie earlier.  I was looking
around AA5AU's site and started reading about it.  Although I haven't made a
Q yet with it, the tones sound right now.  When installing the Keyspan, it
came up at COM 10.  I had to go into CONTROL panel and change it back to COM
2 so I could select it from the EXTFSK setup menu which only went up to COM
8.

Thanks to all for your help.  I have really learned something and now have
an easy way to get some more guy in our club on RTTY using FSK.

73,

Al, K0AD