Re: [WriteLog] Error Message when Writelog 10.77H is started up

To: <WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Error Message when Writelog 10.77H is started up
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 09:59:59 -0500
This is an error that we've seen before.  I've even had it here for a while but
it went away and I don't' remember why it went away
or what I did to get it to go away.  It has something to do with the
USERPARA.INI file which MMTTY uses to set its parameters.  The
error seems harmless but it is a nuisance.

I investigated this error a couple of times by doing a search of the WriteLog
reflector archives to see what others have done but
could not find a definitive fix.

As Joe, W4TV, said it may be due to a missing or corrupted USERPARA.INI file.
I tend to believe it's the latter because if I remove
USERPARA.INI and then try to open MMTTY within WriteLog I get a different error
that says "RTTYRITE MFC Application has encountered
a problem and needs to close).  When this happens, a new USERPARA.INI file is
created but it must be corrupted because I get the
same error when reopening WriteLog with MMTTY.

When using the MMTTY plug-in for WriteLog, make sure it points to a directory
where there has been a full install of MMTTY (and not
just MMTTY.EXE by itself).  You can do this by opening writelog.ini and looking
in the [Rttyrite] section for a line that says:

MMTTY_LOCATION=C:\Program Files\MMTTY (this assumes a full install has been
done at C:\Program Files\MMTTY)

I suggest go into the MMTTY directory, find USERPARA.INI and rename it to
something else like USERPARA_old.INI.  Then open MMTTY
stand-alone (not WriteLog).  It will create a new USERPARA.INI file.  Then open
WriteLog and see if the error comes up again.
Please post your findings on the reflector.  I'd like to nail this one down.

Other options include uninstalling MMTTY and reinstalling (preferably the
latest version 1.66G) and uninstalling the MMTTY plug-in
for WriteLog and reinstalling but I don't know this is necessary.  It's a good
idea to reboot after reinstalling the MMTTY plug-in
for WriteLog if you do so.

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.rttycontesting.com