Re: [WriteLog] Error Message when Writelog 10.77H is started up

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Error Message when Writelog 10.77H is started up
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 22:01:23 -0400
I've had some discussion with AA6YQ who is currently maintaining
MMTTY concerning userpara.ini.  Dave confirms my understanding
that userpara.ini is opened from the MMTTY program directory.

Remember MMTTY is not UAC aware - having been written long before
either Vista or Windows 7.  However, by default MMTTY is installed
in c:\Program Files(x86) which is a "protected directory" in both
Vista and Windows 7.  User applications are not permitted to write
to "protected directories" and this may cause a problem with both
userpara.ini and mmtty,ini.

The suggestions are:

   1) do a fresh installation of MMTTY in a directory other than
      c:\Program Files(x86) ... try c:\MMTTY or c:\Ham Programs\MMTTY

   2) Mark MMTTY.exe "Run this program as and an administrator"
       a) Navigate to C:\Program Files(x86)\MMTTY\MMTTY.exe
       b) right click on MMTTY.exe
       c) Select "Properties"
       d) select the "compatibility" tab
       e) check "Run this program as an administrator" in the
          Privilege Level box

I have never seen the "userpara.ini" error but all of my ham programs
are installed in a separate directory tree on a separate hard drive:
(d:\Ham Programs\<application>).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV