[WriteLog] Success!! RE: Is anyone using an Icom IC-756 Pro III?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Success!! RE: Is anyone using an Icom IC-756 Pro III?
From: "w0ej" <w0ej@goldenwest.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 06:58:51 -0600
Well I have to say thanks to all who supported me and put up with my
frustration(too many to name here but you know who you are), I now have
WriteLog communicating with my rig AND showing the frequency in the QSO
Entry window as well as "logging" the freq.  So now some of you may be
interested in what the problem was, bottom line it was an INI file problem,
once corrected the rig is communicating flawlessly at 19,200 baud.

I uninstalled WriteLog and deleted WriteLog so as to start over with a new
load, NO JOY.. still didn't communicate.  I checked the INI file to ensure
port assignment was correct and rig parameters. Still NO JOY..

I then went into another of the software packages I use, Rig Commander of
the DXLab Suite and looked at that port setup since it has been
communicating with the rig for years. I found that RTS and DTR  are set for
"OFF".  I looked in INI file and didn't see mention of these settings but
remembered seeing info in the Help file.  I looked info pasted in below and
added the two strings (COM6_RTS_INIT=0 COM6_DTR_INIT=0)to the INI file
changing the com address and the bit to "off" or "0". Saved the INI file,
opened WL and voila.... communications, I can "set" frequency and mode on
the rig just like you should be able to. NO PROBLEMS. I SURMISE THIS IS DUE
TO THE THIRD COMPANY INTERFACE HARDWARE. I copied the PORTS and RIG section
of my working INI file to the very bottom of this email for those that may
like to see how it ended up.

The COMn_RTS_INIT and COMn_DTR_INIT settings are for the ports used for rig
control (only--not FSK or any other COM port uses) and change the way
WriteLog initializes the RTS and DTR lines on the rig port. Setting the
value to 0 (zero) causes WriteLog to initialize the line off. Setting the
value to 1 (one) causes WriteLog to initialize the line on (which is the
default if there is no entry). Setting the value to anything else, like -1
(minus one), causes WriteLog to not change the port.

WriteLog supports RTS/CTS flow control for some rig drivers that turn that
feature on, and that feature is disabled if COM_n_RTS_INIT is set to 0, 1 or
-1, but is enabled for a setting of -2.

COM1_RTS_INIT=-2

COM1_DTR_INIT=1

I now know a lot more about setting up the INI file for WriteLog than I ever
wanted to have to know!!!

Thanks again for the help and your perseverance, now I'm off to work some
SKCC WES then off to Sioux Falls.

73,

Bill - W0EJ

NAQCC- #2271

SKCC-  #10440T

FISTS- #14786

FPQRP- #2057

[PORTS]

CWPTTCONTROL=0

CWPTTDELAY=0

CWPTTIDLE=256

dvktype=1

dvkport=4

cwtype=9

cwport=2

dvkstoploop=1

dvkechomic=1

CommSlot1=1

Comm6Used=USED,POLL,53

Comm6RigManager={D0DE9422-0517-11D4-9D1B-00105AA43DDF}

Comm6XmitControl=WAIT

CommSlot2=6

CommSlot3=3

CommSlot4=4