[AMPS] to choke or not to choke...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] to choke or not to choke...
From: dbr@alumni.caltech.edu (David B. Ritchie)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 18:39:28 -0800 (PST)
Its pretty easy to wire around a fried choke on a Henry, just use the
cap, and get the amp back on the air (use the low vlotage setting if you
do that!)

They are pretty heavy
I don't see any real or likely advantage to the design
I've used them and experienced a 50% mortality rate on the chokes
Alphas weigh less and don't (in my experience) have a lot of power
supply problems
When the Henry's work, they make noise like any other amp
The ones that I've used were in Hawaii and its very humid there --
perhaps that contributed to the mortality rate.

I'm sure whatever you do, it'll work or be reasonably easy to fix.  Amps
are pretty easy to fix because the broken parts are all usually color
coded -- black.

Good luck]
Dave N7UE

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Jim Henderson wrote:

> Esteemed Reflectees:
>
>         A couple weeks ago there was a thread about power supplies, and the
> desirability or not of choke input supplies. I have been considering a
> couple of used Henry amps using that design.
>
>         I recall comments to the effect that choke-input PS systems were the
> long engineering solution to a simple requirement, that Henry-style choke
> input supplies were troublesome and out of date.
>
>         I wonder if this is true, as Henry amps do retain the image of
> battleship ruggedness and reliability, or did I miss something salient. I
> cant quite determine if the cons outweigh the pros, or what.
>
>         If you wish to spare the readership of the repetition, you may
> answer direct, but I'd like to understand this point before I make a
> decision on my new amp. I think Henry is the only current producer of this
> type of amp PS, and they still sell.
>
>         Many thanks.
>
> 73 de Jim, KF7E
>
> Jim Henderson
> jhenders@tdrss.wsc.nasa.gov
> jhenders@zianet.com
>

> --

David B. Ritchie, Esq.
D'Alessandro & Ritchie, P.C. -- Intellectual Property Lawyers
3521 E. Yorkshire Road, Pasadena, CA  91107-5432
818-683-8800 (TEL)   818-683-8900 (FAX)   dbr@alumni.caltech.edu