[AMPS] parasitic suppressors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] parasitic suppressors
From: w4eto@rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 15:14:15 -0600
*Sigh!"*  Ian was right after all, Peter - you awakened the monster and now
he's on the rampage again.

Rich, I think you have your Dick's mixed. The first short posting below was
mine - a basic observation straight out of "standard AC circuit analysis"
with no reference to "Q" and nothing to do with "Wes' measurements."

It's harmless to talk about VHF "Q" all you want, but with respect to
suppressing VHF parasitics, the only Q in the anode circuit that really
counts is the loaded "Q" of the entire anode parasitic circuit, on whatever
frequency it ends up resonant. In that practical context, it's the complex
impedance of the parasitic suppressor that's directly relevant, not its
"Q."

Even then, overall feedback loop gain determines whether or not oscillation
will occur, so loaded Q of the parasitic-resonant circuit is only part of
the equation. Hence the practical need for some cut-and-try (or "successive
approximation" to you engineers!) to get best results, at least when you're
not precisely cloning an existing amp.

I think the above is consistent with Ian's discussion, which gets to
practical issues without bringing in distracting and irrelevant concepts.
And BTW, I also think those old ARRL Handbooks that John mentions, cc.
1947-56 or so, covered the subject in a much more practical and helpful way
than more recent publications. Guess it's because lots of us were in high
school back then, had no choice but to brew our own amps, and (blush!) had
barely even heard of "Q."

73,       Dick   W0ID