[AMPS] Silver Plating question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Silver Plating question
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 21:34:28 EDT
>>Hello,
>>I am new to amp design / building and have
>>a question for VHF / UHF is there any advantage
>>to having the anode cavity silver plated ?
>>If so what spec (i.e. ISO or BS number) for the type
>>grade of silver plate and to what thickness.
>>

>>Thanks Martin

Hi Martin,
   In all the discussion that evolved from your query, I didn't notice
happen to notice the answer... unless my delete finger outran my
eyesight. :-)

   Yes, silver has the lowest electrical resistance, which a couple other
postings noted but, at high frequencies the slight apparent advantage
over copper is enhanced due to skin effect.

   For radio work you want to plate with 999 fine, or better, silver, in
plating bath without the "brighteners" that are used for plating jewelry
or silverware.

   Since skin depth at 100 MHz is on the order of .0003 inches, silver
plating of .001 or thicker will be sufficient for VHF and up.

73,
  Marv  WC6W

*