[AMPS] interesting SS amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] interesting SS amps
From: measures@vcnet.com (measures)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 09:01:37 -0700
<jtml@lanl.gov>,
        "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Sender: owner-amps@contesting.com

>Solid state amplifiers have their advantages. I for one like the fact that
>they are inherently wide band and can typically operate from 1.8MHz to
50MHz
>into 2.5:1 vswr without tuning. To me, on the air tuning (especially in
pile
>ups) is extremely obnoxious.

?  My guess is that much of the pileup interference is intended to be
obnoxious.  How hard is it to slide 10 or so kHz to an unused freq to do
a tuneup.?

> They also have the potential to be much
>lighter, more compact,

? The 1500w heat sink for a 1500 watt solid-state amp is hardly compact.
.

>and less expensive than tube amps.

?  Haver you priced MRF-430s recently?

>As soon as devices
>are developed that can run directly off of rectified line voltage (and
>they're getting close), power supplies for these will be cheap and very
>light weight.

?  Good point.

> Very high efficiency is also possible

?  45% eficiency on 10m is high?.

>with envelope
>elimination/restoration techniques and the like. Solid state devices also
>outlast tubes.

?  Certainly not in near-field lightning strikes.

> Linearity is not quite as good but still plenty good enough.
>I'm excited about the potential for this technology.
>
>Dave
>K0QE

end