[Amps] hv resistors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] hv resistors
From: wy6k@yahoo.com (WYsixK)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 16:45:20 -0700 (PDT)
I too have spent a frustrating afternoon searching for high voltage
resistors.  I need some 15kv resistor strings for a high pot tester.

I contacted Vishay/Dale and all of their authorized distributors and
here is what I learned.

The BAEW, BAKW, BBF, BBFW, BBM, BBMW, BBR, and BBRW model carbon film
resistors seem to be the most nearly appropriate.  They run from 2.5kv
to 15kv.  They even make some that go to 40kv (BFW model).  However,
they are not stocked by either Vishay or any of their distributors.
They are non-returnable non-cancellable (NCNR in their lingo) items and
each of the distributors gave me a brief lecture on the perils of that
disease and testified that they would never stock such things.  Worse
yet, the factory does not quote a lead time for them.

The BBR models are 15kv and are about $17 each for 15% tolerance
The BBM models are 7.5 kv and are about $16.50 each for 15% tolerance

The 15% tolerance means these are not terribly well suited to metering
anyway - there will have to be a trimmer in the circuit and the divider
string will have to be manually calibrated.

There is a minimum order requirement (from the factory) of $50, which
isn't bad at all actually.  However, the lack of a lead time quote
means that the lead time is indeterminate - probably until someone
makes a large order on which our small order could piggyback.  Which
could be years.

I've given up and will make a string out of thirty 500 volt, 5% units
that are readily available from Mouser for 5 cents each.  They are 5
cents each if you get 100 of them, which I will.  They are 14 cents
each if you only get 10 of them.

Michael