[Amps] amateur radio demise

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] amateur radio demise
From: kenw2dtc@comcast.net (kenw2dtc)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 03:34:27 -0400
>From Alex:  "As technology has changed and the enemy has started to talk
digitally, the
 need for us has diminished and we have been abandoned by our Governments."
-------------

Alex,
  I think you are quite wrong about the demise of amateur radio.  While you
are surfing the world on your computer, you are dependent on others to
complete your communications.  You do not have control of the internet, nor
of satellite links nor of your cell phone, nor of your regular telephone.
If there is a national catastrophic event, I believe those technologies can
be jammed or virus infected, or taken away from the home user very quickly.
  Surely you have read where floods have taken down cell towers and
telephone poles and have rendered those communications useless.  In all
those cases, Amateur Radio has been there to pick up the slack.
  I believe we will get another allocation in the 5 mHz band, which sounds
like an expansion of amateur radio not a demise.
73,
  Ken W2DTC