[Amps] G-G Amplifiers With No Tuned Input.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] G-G Amplifiers With No Tuned Input.
From: wlfuqu00 at uky.edu (Bill Fuqua)
Date: Tue May 6 09:56:55 2003
The problem with a grounded grid or any RF amplifier that has a non-linear
input impedance ie non-resistive is that the exciter is not loaded with the
same impedance during the entire RF cycle. This introduces harmonic
generation (which is not a serious problem because it will be filtered out
later anyway) and intermodulation distortion. If the  instantaneous V-I
curve of this impedance instead of being a straight line (resistive) can be
described by a polynomial  and that polynomial contains odd order
components ,it will produce odd harmonics and IMD.

A low pass filter has no energy storage. The idea is that a band pass
filter with a capacitor on the output of it connected across
the  non-linear cathode circuit (or grid in some cases).  The capacitor in
conjunction with the inductor make an AC energy storage system. The amount
of energy stored in the system is related to the Q.  A low pass filter has
a Q of  less than 1 (actually it is Q= center frequency/
bandwidth=1/2).  The reason for the capacitor being the at the output is
because it is a short term constant voltage  device. It and the inductance,
tries to maintain a constant sinusoidal AC voltage between the cathode and
ground during several RF cycles.  If the capacitive reactance is 1/3 of the
cathode's minimum  instantaneous  impedance it maintains a very  good
sinusoidal wave form for a single RF cycle (what is needed) and does fairly
good for 3 cycles. This is why high Q is not necessary. The  exciter  sees
a constant impedance over each RF cycle also.
If the output component of the filter connected to the cathode is an
inductor (Inductor output L or T or Pi-L) it will try to maintain a
constant sinusoidal RF current thru the RF cycle. This will make the IMD
even worse.

Well, there is my simple explanation.

73
Bill wa4lav