RE: [Amps] Benefits of 3-phase power?

To: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] Benefits of 3-phase power?
From: "Bert Almemo" <balmemo@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:05:07 -0800
Hello Karl-Arne,

I'll second that in a heart beat. When I arrived in Canada from Sweden 1982,
the electrical system on this side of the pond really surprised me. It's
unfortunately a very old fashioned system we seem to be stuck with.

I remember when we bought our first house, looking at the electrical wiring
gave me night mares. The house was less than 20 years old and the wiring
looked like a cobb web. 20 years later it still looks the same in new
housing, which I find remarkable and surprising.

As an example, to get 120V and 240V to the house, which by the way is the
same phase, the power distributor uses "pole pigs" or other type of
transformers for 240V with a center tap to get 2x120V. It's really
surprising that it's working at all.

I hope I'm not sounding too negative, I love my new country. After living in
Europe, in this case Sweden for 40 years, I guess you have a different view
of this issue. The world is full of surprises, so let's see what's
happening.

Hopefully, I didn't upset any of my friends on this side of the pond.

73s Bert, VE3OBU/SM7BUR

PS. All Swedish and most other European homes have 3-phase electrical power.