Re: [Amps] Designing the Cleanest Linear with RF Negative Feedback

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Designing the Cleanest Linear with RF Negative Feedback
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 23:16:32 +0000

wc6w@juno.com wrote:

> P.S. -- Steve T. posited in another post that there was little intrinsic
> difference between a vanilla 4CX350A and the 4CX350FJ.  The data sheet claims
> 10dB lower distortion at equal power.  That's a lot.  I wonder if Eimac uses
> a striped cathode aligned grid scheme, as in the 4CX600J & 4CX1500B, in the
> '350FJ?
In the data I have, only the FJ has IMD data in the specs - but it's at
either 100 or 250W out, even if that's average power it's less than the
tube is capable of. It reminds me a lot of the ratings I'm used to with
semiconductors where generic parts are respecified at lower power in
order to get linearity for specific applications. I stress it's just my
guess, and I'm wide open to correction.

Steve