Re: [Amps] Proof of idiocy

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Proof of idiocy
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:38:15 -0500
It might be conceivable to cut on a CNC machine if the carriage moved by it's
own power and not a lead screw using an encoder to tell where it was at.
Special threads like multi-lead screws are generally used only in worm
gearboxes and a few jacks using acme thread for speed rather than weight
carrying ability. Fast speed worm boxes like ratios of 10:1 use multi-lead
worms, some two, three leads. Worms are generated on special worm gear hobs.
Most of the CNC lathes I've seen though still used some sort of screw to drive
the carriage for threading, but that's not saying they're all like that as I'm
not sure. Fast machining using CNC is a whole horse of a different color where
everything is automatic and is ran from a program. The carriage on them could
use a rack and pinion drive like for turning, and use an encoder. In a small
lathe, it comes with two sets of back gears, one for inch, and one for metric.
The larger ones have both sets built in. Now in Jennings place, they cou
 ld have had a custom screw machine(s) made for this purpose. However. military
contracts dont like folks using anything out of the norm, and that would
certainly fit the bill. One would think they would want that screw in some even
number so it could be used with the ratios that turns counters have. I'd say
one could buy a tap and die to match it, but it would have to be a custom from
somebody who makes them. Custom stuff is highly expensive. Thing is, Jennings
had to pay extra too just to use an odd-ball size.

Best,

Will