Re: [Amps] Microwave Oven Autopsy

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Microwave Oven Autopsy
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:47:20 -0500
Marv,

20 kilogauss is even over the maximum flux density of Hipersil or M-6 which is
17 and recommends 15. M-2, the best is still 17 kg. I'd say that transformer is
running into stauration under full load, and runs hot as a firecracker. In
microwave ovens, even on high power, the tube is on for maybe a minute, than
off so long, and then on again. The lower powers, this delay is even slower.
I've noticed this while mine has been heating a meal, listening to it kick on
and off over the fan noise. Since they're pulsing the power, they're giving the
transformer time to cool down a little with help from the fan. A 1-3/8 x 2-3/8
core is only 3-1/4 square inches and is way to small for 1 KVA, maybe 500 watts
at the most. What size of mocrowave was this in watts?

Best,

Will