Re: [Amps] Microwave Oven Autopsy

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Microwave Oven Autopsy
From: Tony King - W4ZT <amps080605@w4zt.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 01:28:53 -0500
I used a transformer almost identical to this one in my GS-35B tube
tester <http://tester.gs35b.com>.

It has the welds nicely done connecting all the lams together. Even
after driving the shunts out the transformer is quite lossy. Even with
no load it gets quite warm when you apply primary voltage. I did drive
the magnetic shunts out. They were also paper wrapped and were fairly
easy to drive out.

This transformer had one end of the secondary soldered to a lug that was
under a screw driven straight into a hole in the lams.  I took that
connection loose, slipped a short length of Teflon tube over the loose
wire and then soldered it to a solder lug that I put under the original
screw.  It put out 2200 VAC no load and with a full wave bridge produced
3000 VDC with 56uF capacitance.  Unfortunately, the voltage dropped
quiet a lot under load. With 450 mA load, the output HV will drop to
about 2150 VDC.  Not a big deal for what I'm doing but not so good for
an amp.

73, Tony W4ZT