Re: [Amps] Microwave Oven Autopsy

To: Tony King - W4ZT <amps080605@w4zt.com>,amPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Microwave Oven Autopsy
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 09:00:25 -0500
    Using a pair of transformers in a full-wave center-tapped
configurations is really making two parallel half wave supplies. The
problem is that the flux in the core can not reverse direction thus
limiting the peak to peak flux in the core. This will seriously limits the
peak current that can be drawn. The core becomes permanently magnetized and
possibly saturate if too much current is dawn.
    The transformers from the larger microwave ovens should be able to
produce considerably over a kW due to the fact that the magnetron output is
typically 1500 watts and they are not 100% efficient.

73
Bill wa4lav