Re: [Amps] Microwave Oven Autopsy

To: craxd1@verizon.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Microwave Oven Autopsy
From: "wc6w@juno.com" <wc6w@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:50:13 GMT
Hi Will,
   This one has four 1/8" wide welds down the opposing sides.  And yes, it has
the shunts but, they are encased in transformer paper so, I'd guess that they
could be easily driven out without disturbing anything else.  No screws what so
ever.  The lams are even welded to the mounting frame in four spots.  The
"cold" end of the secondary was soldered to a lug which was riveted to the lams
-- I necessarily disconnected that wire for the hi-pot check.

   It looks like it's wound at about 1 turn per volt.   As the core wouldn't
practically dissassmble, the only easy rewind would be for a filament
transformer.  The secondary could be sliced out by a careful guy and rewound
with a bundle of large wires in parallel making a KW filament transformer...
for say a 4CX5000/10000?   Or twenty 813's?  :-)

73 & Good afternoon,
  Marv WC6W

**********************************

-- "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net> wrote:
Marv,

Did you check to see if one of the windings was connected to the core, and if
the core had a shunt in it? That is what most have that I've seen. Another
thing that really ticks me about their manufacture, and a few other
transformers too, is they weld the lams together. They put a weld right down
one side of the lams, front to back, one bead about 1/4" wide. That makes them
a bit*h to use for a rewind. A person with a mill, or be good with a disc
grinder can remove the weld. Also, the shunt needs to be driven out with a
hammer. This is really good though as it gives you more vertical window area
for a new coil. What gets me though is why weld them and still use screws to
hold the lams together?

Best,

Will