Re: [Amps] 3-500z - intermittent filament

To: <n4zr@comcast.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500z - intermittent filament
From: "k7rdx" <k7rdx@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 05:44:05 -0800
From: <n4zr@comcast.net>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 8:05 AM

> I'm sure John is correct about both the risks of resoldering and the ideal
solution, but what to do if you have tubes that have already failed from
this cause?

> Using some of Rich Measures' silver solder and packing the area around the
glass seal with wet paper towels, I have successfully repaired several
tubes.  Last time around, operating on the theory that the spring clips on
the filament pins might have lost their temper, I swapped them for those on
grid pins from the same socket.  I also made a point to polish the inside of
the socket contacts and the filament pins in the hope of reducing the
resistive heating at that point.  These fixes have so far been effective in
intense CW and SSB contest use for several years.