Re: [Amps] 3-500z - intermittent filament

To: "'Martin Sole'" <msole@loxinfo.co.th>, <terry@g4amt.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500z - intermittent filament
From: "Robert B. Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 06:04:04 -0600
Martin, Terry, Group,

Good morning guys. Like I have mentioned before when I was back at the RADIO
SHOP (Drake Collins Kenwood, Yaesu etc factory service) while in college in
the late 70's I had to perform surgery on a lot of SB-220's.

History Lession:

The Johnson sockets had been designed for the 4-65, 4-125 and not even the
4-250 sized tubes let alone the 4-400's.  Since the 3-400 and 3-500 plugged
in directly many ham manufacturers cut corners and put the $5 sockets in
instead of the much more expensive aluminum Eimac airsystem sockets for the
4-400 or the fancy less expensive SK-410's.

The original Drake L4's had Sk-410's the L4B the Johnson sockets, cheapo.

Well the amplifiers where where air blew sideways across the tubes and pins
instead of through the sockets or didn?t have enough airflow due to NOISE
CONCERNS developed a syndrome.

Somewhere along there we also got the 1500W output increase.  These two amps
were 2KW PEP input amps.  When operated at balls out power the TUBES didn?t
cool adequately and got hot enough to either melt the solder out of the tube
pins, or take the temper out of the socket retainers which then caused a
high-z situation that melted the pin solder on the filaments.

THE PHENOLIC Pin holder base Eimac put on the 3-500Z was there to stabilize
the pins and ad some cooling flow if this situation arose.  (Cheap fix)

However in the normal air system socket base it blocked the airflow
slightly.

Syndrome Fix:

If you are resoldering pins in 3-500's bases, you have to be very careful to
not melt the tube base seal.

I did this by heating the removed larger pins with a torch in an old tube
socket and setting a tube with clean and fluxed pins into solder bath filled
pins and allowing to cool. If you have a lot of repairs a steel fixture
could be machined to effect the repairs.

It has been noted here that the spring clips can be individually replaced on
the sockets, I?preferred to replace the whole now $20 socket.

You guys are right on it.

BOB DD