Re: [Amps] SB-220 bias question

To: "'Carl'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 bias question
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 20:48:51 -0400

> The SB-220 is a compromise anyway as the Ep and Ip dont go
> to half on CW and drive has to be dropped for 1000W Input
> to maintain the same load impedance.

Not that it matters but you want Ep and Ip to go to 70% each
in order to reach half power (.7x.7= .5).  By keeping them
in the same ratio, the plate load impedance remains the same.
If Ep and Ip sent to 50% each the power input would be 25%.

The 70% ratio is very typical ... 2800/2000V (SB-220),
3600/2500V (Henry, etc.) ... for the older amplifiers that
were designed for the old 1KW DC input (CW), 1500 W PEP
(output) SSB rules.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV