Re: [Amps] PEP Reading Wattmeter

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] PEP Reading Wattmeter
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@f2s.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 21:45:58 +0100
> The Array Solutions Power Master is actually more accurate than a Bird 43.
> Check the specifications.
>
> Accept for the display getting dim and the segments getting burned in on
> mine, I love it.
>

> 73
> Jim W7RY

Don't trust the accuracy - into a real aerial it's very dependent
on the directivity of the coupler used. The VHF/UHF one is all but
useless (25dB typ.) and they spout a load of nonsense in section
3.2 'VSWR accuracy'.

If the VSWR reading changes with cable length, the sensor is not
good enough.

I couldn't spot any directivity numbers for the hf ranges.

For all practical purposes it makes no difference that matters,
but to me it's somewhere between sleight of hand and snake oil.

Steve