[Amps] Liquid Cooling

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Liquid Cooling
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 11:33:59 -0600
At work we use oil cooling for a number of situations with high voltage. The
oil gives a great benefit for insulation and allows more compact layouts. I
don't know of any RF amplifiers this way, only pulse amplifiers using planar
triodes and thyratrons.
The tube is basically sitting under the oil. However, I have not worked on any
of these designs, and I believe they still require some mechanical work to
force the oil to carry the heat by the anode. In one system there is a small
recirculating oil pump and
pipes, all immersed. (not the pump motor). The oil is typically a
silicone-based liquid called Envirotemp 200.  You can also used Envirotemp FR3.
You can also just use transformer oil, like Shell Diala.
John
K5PRO