Re: [Amps] Cleaning air-wound coils

Subject: Re: [Amps] Cleaning air-wound coils
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 13:39:19 -0700
Good point, since the original question was about B&W coils.

What I don't know is whether the curing process would get the plastic
hot enough long enough to matter. Standard polycarbonate (used in the
B&W coil stock) has a short-term temp rating of 140C/284F . I suppose
the answer could be found by baking an airdux or miniductor coil chunk
in the oven at 400F for 20 minutes and seeing how well it survives.
(about what it normally takes to cure small powder coating jobs)

There's also the air-cured exhaust coating (not powder) that requires no
baking and is rated to 1700 degrees after 96 hours. It does require a
spray gun, though, which is messy. It also leaves a satin finish, which
to some might not be as attractive as gloss.

Just some ideas, not necessarily bullet-proof ones.

73,
Jim, N7CXI