Re: [Amps] SHV connectors...

To: "'PY1NB - Felipe Ceglia'" <felipeceglia2@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SHV connectors...
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 12:17:40 -0700
Felipe,
I think those connectors (reverse-polarity SHV-BNC) are intended for RG6,
which I believe may be a larger diameter than RG142 (but more flexible).  I
think RG6 Quad Shield is very high quality (and inexpensive) coax and should
work fine. I've bought several of the Chinese connectors and compared them
with Kings Electronics connectors, which are ten times the price, and find
the quality to be quite comparable. In general, I think the mechanical
quality of the connector is more important than the dielectric strength of
the cable for voltages less than  5 KV. For instance, I've been using MHV
connectors (now obsolete, with a lower voltage rating) with ordinary RG58
cable for twenty-five years with my 8877 amp and it has handled 4700V
perfectly well.
73,
Jim W8ZR

Felipe Ceglia
> Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:46 AM
> To: amps@contesting.com
> Subject: [Amps] SHV connectors...
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I cannot find any reasonable priced source for RG8 sized SHV connectors.
>
> The fair priced are these ones, from a chinese online store:
> http://www.rfsupplier.com/straight-plug-crimp-5000v-cable-p-1684.html

http://www.rfsupplier.com/high-voltage-solder-bulkhead-jack-connector-p-1685
.html