Re: [Amps] Topband: Elimination of Treadmill RFI on 160 meters

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Topband: Elimination of Treadmill RFI on 160 meters
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 04:51:22 -0500
As for the thermal compound, it depends on the compound. I use Arctic Silver which cures after an hour or two of use, giving the appearance of being dried out. It's supposed to look (and feel) that way. I never had the white Silicone heat transfer compound dry out. As I worked for the company that makes it, I had one large tube ( several lifetime supply if you repair computers. ) You put a small gob in the middle of a quantity just large enough to eventually cover the contact area.

Your line voltage may be high as I'm assuming you are running conventional power supplies. I've had several Astron switchers fail. They promised a new fan which failed on day 2, but it never arrived. So, with Astrons, I stick with conventional configurations. On that note, be careful, the configuration or parts may not match. Also, on the BIG, 50 and 60 ? amp supplies (forgot which mine is). I had a screw fall down the side. It was only a little flash, but it took out two of the pass transistors. For only a little more I was able to get pass transistors rated for quite a bit more current. I replaced them all, and it's been running over 5 years (I think)

73

Roger (K8RI)