[Amps] Emergency communication

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Emergency communication
From: "Chris Hays" <chris@chrishays.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 09:53:00 -0700
Humor aside, one thing that phone transmitters require is power. The fact
that you can copy a CW signal at a far lower signal level than a phone
signal means that lower power can be effective.

There was a story from one of the operators at the KPH coast station.  They
were monitoring for CW traffic and as was typical of recent times, there was
pretty much nothing there. Then a weak Morse signal was heard. It was a
distress call from a ship off the coast of Alaska.  They had fire in their
engine room.  They had extinguished it but the damage had left them adrift
and without any power to run any equipment.  But what they did have was a
battery-powered emergency Morse radio, and someone who knew how to use it.
Because this technology is "obsolete," all the coast stations that could
copy such a message are gone now.

Speaking of obsolete technologies, I read that the coast guard is trying to
get funding to restore a version of Loran C which was shut down in the 90's.
It seems the military has discovered how easy it is for the enemy to jam GPS
and make it useless over quite a large area. They decided they needed a
backup system and realized they used to have one but they shut it down.

Then there was the wonderful transit system that Los Angeles had that was
removed because cars were the "thing."  Now congestion has required them to
rebuild it a great cost.

I hope you are seeing a "theme" here!

Chris, AB6QK

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 23:34:44 -0400, K8RI wrote:

>>>CW is the most basic
>>>form of communication. It is the easiest mode to construct an an
>>>emergency transmitter out of a few parts.

REPLY:

I'm picturing you way out in the boonies, far from cell phone range,
and you come across a terrible auto accident.

You say to the survivors "Wait a minute, I've got a kit of parts right
here".  "Now where do I plug in my soldering iron?".

73, Bill W6WRT