[CQ-Contest] "LAST 2" - Personal Experiences

Subject: [CQ-Contest] "LAST 2" - Personal Experiences
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Tue Mar 28 10:52:32 2000
On 3/27/00 9:17 PM, Jon Ogden at jono@enteract.com wrote:

>And what really frustrated me is best described by the following:
>
>KE9NA:  CQ Contest from KE9NA
>Other:  Tango Foxtrot
>KE9NA:  Tango Foxtrot full call
>Other:  Italy Bravo Zero Juliet Tango Foxtrot (I made up this call just now)
>...SILENCE.....
>KE9NA: IB0JTF 591245
>
>This happened numerous times.  The guy was given the mic to give his call
>and my report but only gave his call.  And there was no need to do it that
>way.  It made for an extra transmission for him and for me.

As a little pistol, I disagree.

Ills of the last 2 aside, there's no way a CQing station is going to get
a report from me until I'm reasonably sure he has my callsign right. Why?
Well, it was hard enough to break the pileup the first time. All I need
is for the station to say "KA4LU 59 1234 QRZ?" Then I have to break the
pileup AGAIN to get my callsign corrected. Holding out on the report is
the only way I can keep the other station's attention.

>I must say I have been more successful breaking pileups since being taught
>to give full callsigns and I have begun teaching others as well.  Perhaps
>someone can learn from my observations here.

I always give my full callsign, but the other station doesn't always
receive it.

Seems like the world would be a better place if
a) calling stations always gave their full calls
b) cqing stations always gave their calls after every Q

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales