[CQ-Contest] "LAST 2" - Personal Experiences

Subject: [CQ-Contest] "LAST 2" - Personal Experiences
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue Mar 28 20:16:55 2000
on 3/28/00 4:21 PM, Igor Sokolov at ua9cdc@dialup.mplik.ru wrote:

> While it is generally better to give the full call sign there are cases when
> that is not true. I think you should consider the tactics for every case
> individually. Giving the last 2 or sometimes the first 3 or something else
> can be beneficial in a heavy and poorly controlled pile up for some rare DX
> in the contest. It is especially true when you do not run a lot of power to
> just brake the pile up. Very often you only have a clear slot of time long
> enough to put THE MOST IMPORTANT part of your call through.

I don't agree.  If you put your full call out there there are many things
that can happen:

The first couple letters you say may be buried in QRM, the last couple may
not be or vice versa.  Actually, the longer you are transmitting the more
chance there is for him to hear you, hear more of your callsign and less
chance that your call will be confused with someone elses.

If I call "North America" and there is a KC5ZNA on frequency and all that
the DX hears is "NA", then KC5ZNA has every right to come back and I may not
make the QSO.  However, if he hears my full call or 9NA or whatever, there
is a much better chance that I am the only station in the pileup with those
letters.

If transmitting the last two is so good to "punch" through the pileup, why
isn't just transmitting the "last one" even better?  The fact is you break
pileups far better by giving your full call.  In my call, he can come back
with, "the KE9" or the "KE" or the "KE9N" or whatever.  More letters, more
chances for him to hear at least some of them.

No part of your call is the most important.  It's all important.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden