[CQ-Contest] "LAST 2" - Personal Experiences

Subject: [CQ-Contest] "LAST 2" - Personal Experiences
From: n2tk@earthlink.net (N2TK)
Date: Wed Mar 29 08:19:23 2000
I have to totally disagree that using the last 2 or 3 helps get thru the
pileup, even if you are not a big gun. The most important part of your call
is what is heard at the receive end, whether it is the entire call or your
prefix or you suffix or any combination. Besides the obvious of slowing the
run rate by giving your last 2, here are a few other points as observed when
running pileups from dx locations:
- if you only send the last 2, it is amazing how many other come back when
you ask for "NA" as used in the example below. Typically will get several to
keep calling if they have an "N" or "A" anywhere in their call.
- On phone some use phonetics or their pronunciation of certain letters or
phonetics  are hard to understand. By giving their entire call it is
sometimes easier to pick out bits and pieces of the whole call such as
"K?5?NA" There is less likelihood that many will still be come back.
- On CW, due to signal levels, QRN and band conditions, some letters come
through easier than others at times. Also by hearing the entire call, even
if you can only pick out a few letters initially, the speed, tone and
characteristics of what is heard helps to get the entire call quicker than
by just using the last two. Jon is correct in saying you will be
transmitting longer giving your entire call.
- Don't forget the psychological point either - some don't respond to those
sending only the last 2 until they have worked all the entire calls they can
hear. They know the last 2 folks will slow them down. When you hear only 2
letters being given, you don't know if you are getting the prefix, suffix or
combination of the above as there does not seem to be a pattern to what the
last 2 means.
- Also, you don't know how strong or weak the dx station is hearing you. He
may be hearing you a lot better than you are hearing him/her.
- One bad habit the "last 2" folks have gotten into, is that they have been
sending their last 2 so long that they think its their entire call. It is
amazing how many times that the "last 2" folks don't give their entire call
when you come back to their 2 letters. Sometimes you have to ask what is
their call then they act surprised. Maybe when we are on the dx end we
assume that the dx knows who we are when the last 2 is given.

If only folks would give their entire call signs all the time life would be
better. Maybe I should just use "TO" for my name. Everyone will know who I
am, right?

TOny