[CQ-Contest] Cw Speeds in Contests

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Cw Speeds in Contests
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Sat Jan 5 08:03:20 2002

>start
> with something other than ARRL DX or CQWW.

Gosh.  I can't agree.

Sure, they are the premier heavyweight contests.

But, to avoid them to wait for a less intense contest doesn't make any sense
to me.

My impression of most contests is that they are loosely organized such that
the high-speed, all-out contesters are tend to congregate in the lower ends
of the bands with the intensity lightening as you move up the band.

Along that same line, I find that there are more stations sending slower
higher in the band than at the low end, an on-the-air Dr. DX, as it were.

If you are CW Speed impaired, don't avoid these two contests.

You will find plenty of stations sending anywhere from 20 to 40+.

There will be plenty of stations in your range of ability to copy.

If you have to sit through a couple of QSO's before you get the information,
consider that in subsequent contests you will be doing less and less of that
as your cw proficiency and callsign recognition develop.

Heck, I still sit through a QSO or two from time to time when I run up
against one of the high-speed Euro's just to make sure I got the call right
the first time (sometimes I do get it right the first time; sometimes I
don't).

Go for it.

Have fun.

Make Q's.