[CQ-Contest] [book] parameters

Subject: [CQ-Contest] [book] parameters
From: jds@twistedoak.com (Jeff Stai)
Date: Fri Jan 25 09:21:31 2002

hi Bob - thanks for your comments - I'm afraid I respectfully disagree with
most of them. See below.

At 08:26 AM 1/25/02, Bob Wolbert wrote:
>Jeff,
>
>The following suggestions are meant in a positive light from a guy who
>has done similar projects...
>
>I strongly believe that charging ANY money for this document will
>severely reduce its readership.
>
>As suggested previously, posting a PDF on a web site provides the best of
>both worlds: free distribution, with paper copy available (if you print
>it yourself). The PDF format allows a good compromise between machine
>readability and printing if you use the proper layout.

Publishing free on the web is great - but it will not reach the people who
need it most: those people who have no idea where to begin. Therefore, you
must advertise, and this costs money!

And: charging money for something increases its inherent value. I think so,
anyway.

>[more follows]
>
>On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 18:56:59 -0800 Jeff Stai WK6I <wk6i@twistedoak.com>
>writes:
>>

>> In order of preference, here how this book will be published:
>>
>>  1. published as a bound paperback by a recognized publishing house.
>>

>Problem: long lead time, long negotiation time, very large runs required,
>updates difficult because of all-of-the-above. Result: high fixed cost
>(risk) and outdated material.

My goal is that this book will be good enough to justify the risk. I do have
some idea of the costs involved.

Regarding outdated material: if we do this right, 90% of the content will be
'timeless'.

Regarding long lead time: If anyone thinks this project will take
significantly less than a year, I think they are dreaming! That should give
enough lead time.

>>  2. published as a bound paperback by a boutique publishing house,
>> or
>> self-published.
>>

>High per-copy costs. Self-published involves large commitment of time on
>part of the 'self-printer'. Time required is not bounded either--its
>never "finished".
>

>>  3. self-published as a spiral bound notebook, option to download PDF.
>
>Spiral bound? How about three-hole punched for a binder? This would work
>if the proper page layout is used. I recommend a horizontal format, which
>is easier to read on-screen and not much (if any) harder than the normal
>vertical format on paper.

Spiral bound is stronger and easier to hold, in my opinion. A three-ring has
to lay flat, but a spiral can be folded back on itself. I will think about
the horizontal orientation, however (though I don't quite see how that would
work 3-ring).

>> Physical sizes: a medium sized "trade paperback", QST-sized font
>> (maybe
>> larger), single column (maybe double).
>
>Single column is much preferred for anything read on-line. Lowest
>printing cost for small-run material is 8.5 x 11 inches--and this size
>also fits into a standard binder.
>

>> Purchase price: It must at least pay for itself. A small profit is
>> good - I  propose that any profits be directed to a good cause, and we
>will
>> discuss this and agree amongst the major contributors at a later time.
>>
>> thanks - 73 - jeff wk6i
>>

>WARNING WARNING!!! How would we EVER decide on such a "good cause"? This
>is a great idea, but unfortunately its pretty much unworkable, especially
>after the printing is done. (Just imagine all the arguments this could
>create). If it must be sold, we'd better decide who would get any excess
>beforehand, and the time frame for such monetary distribution.

I am expecting the actual contributor list to be short. And I do not think
it appropriate for non-contributors to have a say in this. Therefore, we
will have to wait to see who actually contributes!

The pricing will be just enough over the cost of printing and advertising to
allow a safe buffer for unexpected costs. If the book does well, this profit
may grow large enough that it should be distributed. At that point the
actual contributors should have a say in the distribution.

>If it must be printed (only), I bet (actually, I _know_) we could find a
>few sponsors to cover the printing/postage costs. But then we'd have to
>have someone do the grunt work of packaging and mailing... Much easier to
>use electronic distribution, isn't it?!

No - much easier to throw it over a wall and let someone else deal with it.

Frankly, I don't want the headache of doing incremental updates forever.
This is the Real Horror of electronic distribution...

thanks again - 73 - jeff wk6i

>73 de Bob, K6XX
>k6xx@arrl.net
>www.k6xx.com