[CQ-Contest] 160 SSB

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 160 SSB
From: n5ia@zia-connection.com (Milt Jensen, N5IA)
Date: Wed Feb 26 00:35:05 2003
Martin,

Thanks for the insight.  Let me explain how the operation was run at N7GP.

We certainly are aware of Grey Line propagation.  We use Geo-Clock to keep
track of the critical locations, both continentally and intercontinentally.
Both nights we specifically looked for the 10 pointers and mults from the
Pacific area.  Starting at ZL North Island sunset we have one operator/one
receiver listening with Beverages antennas toward the South Pacific.  The
run operator typically continues to listen on east pointing Beverages and
the omni directional RX antenna.

This procedure continues until sun up at this location with particular
emphasis as the terminator passes first over VK2, then VK3, etc. until the
VK6 guys have that same propagation possibility.  Saturday morning  (your
evening) we were called by T31MY with 100 Watts and a (we understand) low
loop antenna.  Here are Jan's comments in an E-mail to Denny, W7SNH.

"N7GP was my first state and 6th qso on the first night.  He had a very nice
signal and good ears to hear my 100w.  On the second night he was still
strong but not as good as the previous night.  He seemed pretty relaxed so I
called him again when he was cq'ing but he never heard me the second night.
I was sort of using him as my guide to the relative strength of my signal -
obviously I was weaker on the second night.  My second US contact was N6SS
and I was all excited that I was getting a second state only to find that he
was also in Arizona!!  First night total - 7 contacts, six multipliers.

The second night I decided to forego my sunset and be on the air ready for
the east coast before 1100z and stick it out until after your sunrise.
Barely heard the east coast, this was the night for Nevada.  Worked N7KC at
1112z and N7CQQ at 1113z.  Wow, pile up time I thought crouching down over
the dial.  In my dreams.  That was the sum total of my second night and I
knocked it on the head around 1330z.  Sorry if you got up specially but I
doubt you would have heard me.  Grand total - 9 contacts, 7 multipliers.  My
score was something in excess of 300."

I can emphatically state that we spend more focused time and effort
listening for you guys down south than any other particular area.  Both
nights we never recognized a single signal from VK/ZL.  At the same time, we
never saw a single post on DX Summit that anyone else had contacted VK/ZL.

I certainly am happy to know that our signal was being heard down under (we
couldn't get the EA8 to hear us).  At the same time I believe we have to
blame the propagation Gods and the QRN for missing you on your Saturday
evening.  Thanks for trying.

Milt, N5IA, one of the ops at N7GP