[CQ-Contest] Contesting from the basement

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting from the basement
From: n2mg@eham.net (Mike Gilmer, N2MG)
Date: Wed Jul 23 13:33:01 2003
I am in the throes of building a basement shack and auxiliary playroom
(studs are up, rough wiring run).  Some observations...

I put in a raised floor consisting of a plastic vapor barrier against
the concrete, 2X2 pressure-treated "joists" screwed into the floor,
foam insulation between them, then standard 4X8 ft flooring (OSB tongue-
and-groove) glued and screwed on top.  I plan to carpet that.  The wood
floor is easier on the feet and is so much warmer than the concrete.

In addition to the comfort benefits of a raised floor, an additional
benefit (unknown to me at the time):  current US electrical code
requires  outlets in a basement to be GFCI-protected...unless the floor
is raised as I have done.  Of course, this may or may not matter to you.

73 Mike N2MG