Re: [CQ-Contest] e qsl

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] e qsl
From: "Ron Notarius" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 21:19:27 -0400
Zak,

In a word:  Yes.

Assuming the busted call is not actually an active call, it will never show
as a valid contact, as it will never match.

Assuming the busted call is an active call, it will only show as a valid
contact IF the other operator puts in a matching log entry.  And how likely
is that?

For example...
The first time I worked ZL7C on 30 meters, due to heavy QRN, the op logged
me as N3VAW.  (I did rework him the next day under better conditions, and he
got it right that time!)  So if & when the ZL7C log is submitted to LotW,
N3VAW (last time I checked, a Tech out in EPA) will have a bogus entry.
BUT, it will never match up with his log unless he somehow magically becomes
aware of the date, time, band, and mode (and I'm not telling! <g>).  So the
busted call will simply hang out on the LotW server as another unmatched QSO
entry.

Since there is no edit function with LotW at present, the only recourse will
be for the station who busted calls to reload those log entries with the
correct call.

Now, contrast this with another on-line logging service.  Under the same
scenario, N3VAW would see the ZL7C entry show up on his log in his "in" box.
Yes, an honest ham would check the box to indicate that this log entry was
incorrect... and I'm sure N3VAW would.  But let's all be honest, there are
those out there would be sorely, sorely tempted to do otherwise!

As Jack Nicholson said, in character, in a movie blockbuster quite a few
years ago:  "Hubba hubba hubba, who do you trust?"

73, ron wn3vaw