Re: [CQ-Contest] 2005 Dayton Forum Wrap Up

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2005 Dayton Forum Wrap Up
From: sawyered@earthlink.net
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:54:12 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
To continue on what Bob, N5NJ, was saying...the idea is for the vendors to
follow where the customers are, guys, not for the vendors to tell the customers
to come back to where they are.

On one hand, you hear the stat. that the 400 - 500 contesters are only 2% of
the population at Dayton and who will listen to us.  Then on the other hand you
hear the comment...I hate to see many of my "big buck" buyers not at the
Hamvention, where my booth is.  Which is it guys?  Are we important, or aren't
we.  If we are, then the vendors should be telling Hamvention, either fix the
problem and find these guys some reasonable space or I'm cutting my booth in
half (or eliminating it) and setting up a product demo over at the Crowne.  If
that doesn't get the attention of the organizers, nothing will.

Of the 500 or so contesters who go to Dayton, I wonder how many would go if the
Contest and DX dinners, DX and contest and antenna forums, and super suites
were somewhere else at a different Hamvention.  I, personally, would rather go
to another location in April, June, August, or January, then go to Dayton the
week before WPX CW.

My proposal: build up the Crowne into its own gathering with its own vendor
representation over the next 2 years and then move it around to other colocated
hamfests so that it moves around the country and calendar over a sunspot cycle.
 To most of us here, this IS what we call Dayton now, not the flea market and
forums on public safety nets, etc.

Doug and Tim, if you need help making that happen, count me in!

Ed  N1UR