Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW results

To: SP5UAF <tomek@sp5zcc.waw.pl>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW results
From: Alan Zack <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:09:08 -0700
Hello Tom,
A few days ago I asked the question why is it that the ARRL contest results are
all listed on the ARRL web site in nice detail for many years and the ARRL
sends
out certificates in a timely manner and the sponsors of the CQ Contests can't
do
the same.

The answer I got back is that the ARRL has paid staff members to do this and
the
CQ Contest staff are all unpaid volunteers.

Today I received my August 2005 issue of CQ Magazine with the results of the
2004 CQWWDX SSB included.  It states: Expanded CQWW Contests results on the
web.
  But only Station ops of multi-op stations, Team Contesting, and Zone
Leaders/Single op are posted.  There is no listing of individual scores on the
web as ARRL does.  If you want to keep track of the individual scores you have
to keep the magazine over the years.

CQ doesn't show it's total circulation but the annual subscription rate is
$31.95 for USA, $44.95 for Mexico and Canada, and $56.95 for all other DX
locations.  Add to that the income from their over the counter sales and from
advertisers.  As I suggested in my previous email, since contesting is such a
large part of the CQ Magazine concept, it seems they could afford to hire a
data
entry type person on a part time (as needed) position to set up a contest
results web page and make the necessary entries.  The scores, etc, have already
been tabulated, they are all in the magazines.  All they need to do is to have
them entered as is onto the web site.  Then we wouldn't need to keep years old
magazines on file and have to figure out which magazine has what contest
result.
  It is such a long wait between when the contest results are posted until when
you receive your certificate that you may very well forget that you are
entitled
to one.

SP5UAF wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> There is a long, interesting discussion about LOTW. I would like to
> write about another subject.
>
> CQ WW DX Contest results were published last weeks, PHONE and CW parts.
> Perhaps there is a kind of fate over Polish results but this year we
> again have problems and there are mistakes or inaccuracies in the
> published results.
>
> In 2003 my friend Bogdan SP3RBR operated SO 160m in the CW part. He
> operated from the station of SP3BQ also using callsign SP3BQ. He made
> very good score (1st Europe, 4th World). But he was not mentioned as
> the operator in the final results. You know - if you are the operator
> of the station you usually want to see your call on the trophy. It
> stays forever on the trophy as the symbol of your operating skills.
> Bogdan SP3RBR wrote 5 letters to different known e-mail addresses of
> K3EST but got no answer. In the end he cleared everything thanks to the
> help of K1AR.
>
> We have almost the same with the 2004 results. In 2004 Andrew SP8NR
> operated from the QTH of SP3BQ using also his call. Perfect score:
> World 2, Europe 1. But if you have a look at "CW TROPY WINNERS and
> DONORS" section of the results you can see that the trophy goes to
> SP3BQ - the operator SP8NR is not mentioned (however SP8NR is mentioned
> in the country results).
> But is not all. Bogdan SP3RBR really has no luck. Last year he operated
> from SN3A. This time it was SO 3,5MHz: World 3, Europe 1. And... have a
> look at the "CW TROPY WINNERS and DONORS" section again. The winner
> is... "SN3A (Opr: Czeslaw Dubicki, SP3HLM)". Can you believe? OK -
> SP3HLM was the operator at SN3A but not in 2004, it was in 2000.
>
> Can reading the CQ WW contest results give you so much fun as
> contesting itself? Perhaps sometime... If you read the contest results
> carefully you know similar situations:
> - you expect to have 2nd or 3rd place in Europe but you are 4th because
>   the 3rd EU station is from Madeira.
> - you have outstanding score on 40 meters but you are on 20 in the
>   final results
> - you were operating HP but you find your score as the winner of LP
> etc.
>
> The last thing are the top secret results. OK - I understand that CQWW
> events are organized by a commercial magazine. They are published in
> the magazine. That's OK. But donors as well as participants are just
> usual HAMs, contesters. I am not a subsciber of the "CQ" but I think
> that results should be published on the WWW site of the organizer some
> months after they are published in the magazine.
> When you visit WWW site of the "CQ" you can see a big title "CQ WW DX
> Contest Results Now Online". Click on the link and the last year the
> results are published for is 2002. Yes: 2002. The 2004 results were
> just published but 2003 results still can't be published on-line. Every
> [...]

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired