Re: [CQ-Contest] What to expect from 10 meters???

To: "'Jacob W Tennant'" <k8jwt@adelphia.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What to expect from 10 meters???
From: "Paul J. Piercey" <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 13:45:39 -0000
Hi Jacob,

The band, like all bands, is open to "somewhere" all the time. Sometimes
there aren't any stations located where it's open to though :)

I find that a lot of ops stay away based on the assumption that the band is
not open. Leave it to a contest to bring out the stations though. During the
CQWW CW a couple weeks back I worked some good stuff on 10 into Africa and
South America but nothing into the States. It's just funny like that,
especially this time of the cycle. It could, and probably will, drop out on
you in the middle of a QSO.

One piece of advice I would give you is to make up a 10M dipole to use
instead of the 80M dipole. Only about 20 ft long and can be put in place of
your 80M antenna if need be for the duration of the contest or as long as
you want to operate. Might give you a fighting chance :)

73 -- Paul VO1HE