Re: [CQ-Contest] 160 window in ARRL 160m contest,

To: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>, CQ-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 160 window in ARRL 160m contest,
From: Ron Feutz <feutz@wctc.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:46:25 -0600
At 08:23 AM 12/9/2005, Bill Tippett wrote:
>KK9K wrote:
>  >Left undiscussed was the use of the window by loud Caribbean stations
>as their own private clear channel to run the US, as the thread was
>cut off when this subject came up.
>
>          Yes, because loud Zone 9/10 Intercontinentals
>(think PJ2T, P40W, HC8N) could do exactly the same
>and be perfectly within the rules.  Where do you
>draw the line?

Simple - they shouldn't be in the window for the 160
contests.  Neither should Pr or 6Y, or anyone else running QRO in the
Caribbean. Its not a matter of rules, its a matter of common sense
and courtesy.  The window should be a place where real DX can be
heard by stations who don't have great RX antennas, which is most of
the participants. 2 or 3 loud Carib stations and their associated
pileups use up half or more of the window.  As I pointed out on the
other reflector, we didn't hear KV4FZ in the window did we?  Follow
Herb's example.

Now, we don't need to debate whether or not the station is in NA or
SA, or the exact wording or myriad interpretations of the rule(s), or
what the window once was, or is for other contests, or what "real DX"
is, or what the IARU or ARRL think, or anyone's personal history, or
anything else. What we need is for big gun stations in the Caribbean
to apply the golden rule, and let the majority of the participants
have a reasonable shot at working some real DX.

73 Ron KK9K