Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL "Endorses" Cut Numbers

To: "CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL "Endorses" Cut Numbers
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 08:59:28 -0700
> This brings up the point that when the rules say that a QSO "number" will
> be
> sent, a cut number is apparently not technically legal.
>
> --Dennis, NE6I

Point of clarification - the ARRL rules about QSO numbers only apply to what
is logged.  They do not apply to the method used to send those numbers.
Think of the cut numbers as a type of transport encoding, just as the data
for a photo is encoded when exchanged as email.  There are lots of ways to
send sound patterns by Morse code that result in a QSO number being entered
in a log.  For example, I could also spell out "five nine nine" in text or
even "v ix ix" if I wanted.  As far as adjudication of the logs goes, how
you get the number from point A to point B doesn't matter as long as the
transmissions are within the rules of (a) your license and (b) the contest.

73, Ward N0AX