Re: [CQ-Contest] TQP vs CQ RTTY

To: "'Dale Putnam'" <daleputnam@hotmail.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] TQP vs CQ RTTY
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 10:44:36 -0400
Dale,

> However, it also seems to me that the situation is created
> in part by the additonal new rtty ops that are new to the
> game, and thereby do not know, understand, and in some..
> hopefully very few, but in some distinct cases, simple don't
> care about any conflicts. All of the above and in some few
> descrete cases even the more experienced folks might do well
> to be encouraged to learn about sharing with other non-players.

You appear to be placing 100% of the "blame" on the "new RTTY
ops."  That could not be farther from the truth.

7040 KHz has been the center of RTTY activity in Region 1 and 3
and by default international RTTY activity for at least 20 years.
Most of the major RTTY contests have been around that long.  The
issue is a much the "fault" of sponsors of North American (US
based) CW contests who pick weekends that coincide with the
major RTTY contests and post suggested operating frequencies in
the middle (7035-7045) of the RTTY activity.

Sponsors of North American contests absolutely need to get it
through their heads that amateur radio activity is not ruled
by the desires of the West Podunk Good-Old-Boys' Club and that
there is international activity that needs to be considered.
Just because WPGOB's low dipoles and rusted VFOs are fixed for
7040 doesn't give them priority against the rest of the world.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV