Re: [CQ-Contest] TQP vs CQ RTTY

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] TQP vs CQ RTTY
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:57:34 -0700

ku8e wrote:
> I guess I just don't see where RTTY would fit in during a real emergency.

I'm not a RTTY guy so I have no vested interest here, but it seems to me
that RTTY is a natural for emergency communications.  It doesn't have
the S/N or narrow bandwidth advantages of CW, but I don't think typical
emergency communications involve a lot of QRM anyway since everyone
except the lids make a path for the traffic.  What RTTY does have is a
built in format that non-radio people can send or read directly, making
it much easier to liaise with various participating organizations.

That being said, I really doubt whether more than a handful of hams
participate in contests for the purpose of improving their emergency
skills.  I realize that's the company line and I use it myself when
convenient, but I don't think emergency considerations are ever going to
influence how contests are run.

73,
Dave   AB7E