Re: [CQ-Contest] Expansion of Skimmer Subject

To: <stan@aqity.org>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Expansion of Skimmer Subject
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:53:32 -0400
> I am not talking about where the technology is now, but
> instead where it will go if code reading software and
> all technological improvements associated with is
> are allowed.

Nobody has even used CW Skimmer "in anger" yet.  To be
fretting about fully automated stations is an awfully big
leap.  I have been watching the stuff that comes out of
Pete's Skimmer and there is a lot of trash ... in the
last hour I see three spots for North Korean stations,
Andaman and Nicobar, one Bhutan, one Macquarie Island,
and probably two dozen other less "rare" multipliers I
know to be badly busted calls.

With that quality of data, I doubt that any automated system
is going to be a challenge to a human operator.  Even with
automation, the difference will be in the human component to
do things like clean up the bandmap and make "executive
level" decisions - to so the strategy that is so important
to top contest performances anyway.

> CAN ANYONE NAME A SPORT THAT ALLOWS ALL
> TECHNOLOGY TO BE USED TO IMPROVE THE
> PERFORMANCE OF THE PARTICIPANT?

Look at the changes in golf equipment in the past 40 years.
Club technology has revolutionized nearly every part of the
game.

> Good Point!  CW is horse and buggy. That is what makes it
> unique.   Is it the most efficient way of communicating
> with someone half way around the world?  The answer is no.
> My opinion, probably shared by more than you would think,
> is that it should be preserved for those who enjoy it.

Again Skimmer, and other CW reader technology does not prevent
you (or me) or others like you from copying by ear.  It does
allow those who can't (or won't) to participate in CW.  It
does not destroy CW, it expands it - just as there is room on
the highway for both 1936 and 2008 models of automobile.

> it appeared to me that with a company motto of Life Is Too
> Short For Manual Operation that you might have a financial
> motive for being so passionate in your views.

That is the manufacturer's motto - not mine as an independent
distributor.  The motto predates any of the "skimmer" debates
and refers specifically to the microBand Decoder and antenna
switches which were their first products.