Re: [CQ-Contest] contesting amps

To: "CQ-Contest" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] contesting amps
From: "K0HB" <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 05:35:35 -0000
I have an Ameritron AL-1200.   You can touch 1.5KW legal (USA) limit on
every band, and it's run a lot of contests in perhaps 15 years of use.

So far it's been trouble free.  I think the 3CX1200A7 is a pretty
"forgiving" tube, and the internal "plumbing" looks robust.  It's quite a
few years old, pre-dating the MFJ-ownership era, so I don't know if any
"value engineering" has changed the reliability of newer models.

But it's not very "portable" --- heavy beast, although self-contained.
Biggest downer is a fairly loud cooling fan, but K0CKB and I both wear
earphones so that isn't an issue in our shack.

73, Hans, K0HB