Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Xtreme Categories

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Xtreme Categories
From: LY8O <ly8o@ot.lt>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:12:37 +0300
Gents,

I am not against any technical progress, any new operating techniques, but I
can not feel real Amateur Spirit in announcing category, sorry...
Some are right - major contests for many people is a possibility to get
something new (country, zone, island,...) and if lets say DXCC or other AC will
stop to count anything you have worked in CQ WW, we simply could lost the
number of participants with no doubt.
There are many stations all over the world I'd like to call "profesional
amateur radio" - take a look at the antenna fields, for huge antennas there and
so on and so on. But I can still feel amateur spirit in this case - because
people have a target, lets say, to hear better "right here and right now", to
have a better signal somewhere overseas, etc. Remote will kill it...
Well I can agree with the limitation to have all RX and TX antennas within one
country -this will give some new oportunities to MultiOp teams, for SO2R
operation. And no problem to have an online skeds possibilities (clusters,
chats and so on), but both sides must be in the same category - Xtreme. New
things are welcome always, if and only if those things are acceptable for a
bigger part of society, IMHO...
So the question is - will you still fell the Amateur Radio Spirit there?

With remote RX all I need lets say on top band is "brand strong kilowatt" +
vertical or Inverted-L and number of PC with a high speed internet to listen
number of remote places at the same time... So what?...

73, Remi LY8O
(SWL call - September 1979, 1-st QSO - January 1980, 1-st call - June 1983)